Open Enrollment Information
The college's open enrollment period has now started and we must receive your benefits elections no later than Friday, August 23. A few highlights of benefits changes for the year ahead are contained below. You also may want to visit the virtual benefits meeting. Some things you may want to keep in mind as you make your benefit selections on your enrollment form that all you received in the mail from Butler Benefit Services:
1. Eligibility. Due to the delay of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, our eligibility for benefits remains the same for the year ahead. The open enrollment form provides the costs for full-time employees. If you are a part-time employee, the Office of Human Resources can provide eligibility criteria and cost information for eligible part-time employees.
2. Premiums. There is a modest premium increase this year of $20 per month for single coverage and $10 per month for employee+1 and family coverage. The listed premiums assume you are paid on a 12-month basis. The annual premium remains the same but a different monthly equivalency is applied for those employees paid as nine or 10-month employees.
3. Wellness/Non-Wellness Premium Difference. All employees can elect to participate in our Wellness Plan which will require participation in a biometric screening (offered on-site September 17-20) as well as an online health risk assessment between January 1-February 15. Pricing for participants who choose not to participate in wellness will be $100 more per adult participant. For those with spouse and family coverage, all adults must participate in the wellness screenings to receive the wellness premium. If you elect the wellness premium but do not complete the biometric screening and/or health risk assessment, your premium deductions will be changed to the non-wellness rate.
4. Deductible Increases. Earlier communication from the Benefits Committee projected an increase from our previous $1000 deductible to a $1500 deductible. Due to the delay in provisions of the ACA, we will instead raise our deductible to $1250. This deductible runs on the calendar year, so the change will not be effective until January 1, 2014, when all participants' deductibles will reset to $1250 for singles and $2500 for employee +1 and families.
5. Office Visit and Emergency Room co-pays. Office visit co-pays to in-network providers will move from $20 to $30 and emergency room co-pays will move from $50-$150 effective September 1, 2013.
6. Dental Insurance. To combat another double digit rate increase, we will begin self-insuring our dental benefit. The rates on the enrollment form allow the college to maintain the same coverage for a 6% premium increase vs. the 20% increase proposed by United Healthcare. All coverage will remain the same with the exception of a one-year waiting period for major services and orthodontia.
7. Flex Spending Plan. The Internal Revenue Service has lowered the maximum medical flexible spending election from $4000 to $2500. The maximum for dependent care remains the same.
Now that you've received your forms in the mail, your next steps are as follows:
- Check your address and personal information and note any necessary changes
- Indicate what benefits you would like to select for the year ahead. Please note that changes to your elections can only be made in a very narrow number of qualifying life events. The benefit elections made on this form generally can NOT be changed until next year's open enrollment period. On the back page of the enrollment form, there are multiple areas where your signature is necessary.
- If you would like to participate in the flexible spending plan, complete and sign the flexible spending plan enrollment form indicating the amount you want to set aside on an ANNUAL basis for each category.
- Return your completed enrollment forms to Human Resources. We highly suggest you return these in person so that if additional information is necessary we can collect it at that time. You can return these to HR at any of the following times/locations:
- The HR Table at the all-campus retreat on August 19.
- The Augustana Wellness Fair on August 20 at the College Center
- Any day between 8 a.m.-4:30pm at the Office of Human Resources (2nd floor of Sorensen).
- All employees must complete an enrollment form, even if you want to waive all benefits. Enrollment forms must be completed and returned by August 23, 2013.
Still have questions? Just call or e-mail any member of the Human Resources Team:
Teri Carton - (309) 794-7352
Tammy Showers - (309) 794-7740
Steve Gottcent - (309)-794-7141
Laura Ford - (309) 794-7452