Job Title: Reference Librarian Revised: January 2014
Status: Exempt Full-time 10 month schedule Faculty status, non-tenure track
Reports To: Director of the Library
Overview: The Thomas Tredway Library at Augustana College, winner of the 2006 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, seeks a Research Librarian with a passion for teaching undergraduates and a commitment to the role of the library in liberal learning. This position also includes responsibilities as Coordinator of Library Displays and Events and Library Liaison to the Division of Fine Arts, Performing Arts, and Communication. Enthusiasm for developing and carrying out a program of displays and events as well as an academic background or active interest in the arts and communication studies are essential. The successful candidate will be a team player who is energetic, highly organized, skillful in the use of both print and electronic information resources, and can work with library staff and faculty in developing new approaches to teaching and assessing information literacy.
The successful candidate must be able to begin working at Augustana College no later than August 18, 2014.
- Research assistance to students, staff, and public patrons
- Extensive group library instruction, in collaboration with faculty
- Liaison with classroom faculty in an academic division
- Collection management for an academic division
- Develop, schedule, and carry out a program of displays and events for the library
- Active participation in the campus community.
- Evening and weekend duties on a rotating basis as scheduled.
- Participation in the campus Student Success support team
Education: MLS (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program, or expected completion of the degree by August, 2014.
Experience: Previous experience in providing research assistance and/or instruction to undergraduates is preferred but not required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a diverse audience, including faculty, administration, staff, and students.
- Ability to develop rapport with students.
- Strong commitment to teamwork and willingness to collaborate.
- Sense of humor
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess finger and hand dexterity for using small tools and equipment. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and one-page statement of the applicant's philosophy of librarianship to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 10, 2014. Additional information is available at Augustana.edu/employment.
Augustana is an equal opportunity employer.