It’s about that time again. Finals week is approaching and students are working on papers and projects right up to the deadlines. This is the worst time for data loss on campus, so take a minute from studying and consider the following tips for protecting your files:
- Know where your file is saved – sometimes when you download a file from your email, it is saved in a temporary location. Once it is downloaded to the computer, make sure to Save As and follow tip #2.
- Save your file in a safe place – campus lab computers have deepfreeze on them, so all files saved on the C:drive will be deleted upon restart.
Safe places include:
- Your H:drive
- Your Google Drive
- A flash drive
- Save early and save often
- Save your file in two places – consider downloading Google Drive to your computer for automatic cloud backup
- Make sure to eject flash drives and other storage devices before you remove them from a computer!