There are strange things done under the midnight sun….
— Robert Service, Yukon rhymester
We are leaving the Yukon and moving on to the Northwest Territories. The Yukon is a great place, but we certainly had some strange experiences:
- We heard Pachelbel’s Canon played on musical saws.
- We had a sheared-off wheel stud from rough Yukon roads.
- The most popular beer is flavored with birch syrup.
- A $29 oil change is $75. Nothing is cheap up north.
- We worshipped with a congregation of six in a church built of logs.
We will miss the Yukon, particularly its people. Yukoners are like most Midwesterners — humble and friendly. I hope we have a chance to visit again.
(See also Jane Bahls’ Arctic Adventures blog).