Hello from sunny Houston, Texas!
The last few days have been a whirlwind, but I thought I’d give you all a little update on the highlights-
1. While sitting in the O’Hare airport waiting for my first flight, the scruffy, middle-aged man next to me says “Sweetheart, will you watch my bags for a second, I’m going to McDonalds. And can I get you anything while I’m there?” I, thinking that both of those sentences were a little shady replied, “No that’s okay, I really don’t need anything.” Smart girl. I proceed to get out the new package of headphones I bought at Walmart the previous night to open them. I was having a little difficulty since I was not in possession of any sharp objects (thank you TSA) and when the man came back he volunteered to help. “This would be a lot easier with a knife,” he says. “Geez, they don’t let you bring anything on an airplane these days. When I was leaving Montana this morning because I had a gun in my bag that I had forgotten about and I had to go through this hour-long security process and then they took all my knives away too.” Texas, here I come…
2. The pull handle of my suitcase fell off while I was trying to pull it up a curb to get to my dorm.
3. The food has been a-maz-ing!!! Our first night we went to a little cafe called Ruggles which has the best desserts I’ve ever tasted. I’m not a huge cake person, but their red velvet cake was to die for! Last night we had good old fashioned barbeque with beans, cole slaw, and jalepeno cheesy bread. Yum.
4. Our first night after dinner we were walking home and heard some music coming from the big park across the street. Some of us ventured over to see what it was, and it was well worth the hike. There was a rehearsal going on for a show at the outdoor theater this weekend-a Motown Revue with people singing and dancing and it was so fun to watch! The real show is this weekend, so we are going for sure. And the best part is its free!
5. My first day of work was yesterday and it seems like its going to be awesome. I really like both my mentor and her research assistant. I’m going to be working a few different projects about body image in head and neck cancer patients as well as breast cancer patients. I will also be spending some time shadowing the speech pathologists, which will be great, too! The Texas Medical Center complex is ginormous! I still am not sure I know exactly how to get to my office but I will figure it out soon I’m sure.
6. I’m home from work today because I think something I ate didn’t agree with me and I was up sick last night, so they don’t want to take the risk and have me around sick patients today. But I’m sure I’ll be feeling better by tomorrow and will be back at work.
Well thats about all the news from Houston today. It’s pretty hot down here, but they tell us this is nice weather, so I can only wait to see what the next few weeks will bring us. Please check back soon for another update!
Posted on May 26th, 2010 by katrina-jensen
Filed under: Katrina Jensen