The renovation of Carlsson Hall continues on pace for its planned re-opening at the start of the 2008-09 academic year. Carlsson was taken off-line as a residence hall after students moved out in May 2007 as the process of converting Carlsson to an academic and administrative building began.
The project is both a restoration and an expansion, as an addition is being constructed on the building's north side. When complete, the new building will become home to the five academic departments currently located in Sorensen Hall (accouting, business administration, economics, education, and psychology) as well as Augustana's Center for Vocational Reflection and Office of International Programs.
Opening its doors in 1928 as the Augustana Women's Building, Carlsson Hall was built with funds raised by the Augustana Missionary Society and its director, Emmy Evald. The building's name was later changed to honor Evald's father, Erland Carlsson, who had served as chair of the college's Board of Trustees. When it re-opens later this year, the building will be officially renamed Emmy Carlsson Evald Hall.
See below for recent photos of restoration and expansion.
3rd floor, looking north - new windows are installed and many rooms have been painted
3rd floor, looking south - Old Main is visible across 7th Avenue
3rd floor - the project includes replacement of all building systems
1st floor patio - the roof of the addition on the building's north side creates a patio off the first floor lobby
1st floor patio - another view from the patio created by the addition