Skip to main content

Veteran Education Benefits

If you are a veteran of U.S. military service, an eligible active-duty member of the military, or an eligible dependent, you may be eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits.

VA Educational Benefits include, but are not limited to:

• The Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)

• Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

• The Post 9-11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33)

• Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

VA Educational Benefits do not include the Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG), Illinois National Guard Grant Program (ING), or the Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship Program. These programs are only available at Illinois public institutions.

How to apply for Veteran Education Benefits

To apply for any VA benefit program, you must complete the application. Once you have done this, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility for your Veterans Affairs educational program. Depending on which chapter you are eligible for, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the following:

• Chapters 31, 33 — Submit Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Financial Aid.

• Chapters 30, 35 — Submit Certificate of Eligibility to the Registrar's Office.

Post 9-11 GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon Program

Augustana College is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program. Yellow Ribbon recipients will have their maximum Post 9-11 benefits processed with the VA. The remaining amount, up to the cost of tuition and fees, will be covered by the Yellow Ribbon program, which is split evenly between Augustana College and the Veterans Affairs.