A Day in the Life of a Speech-Language Pathologist
Instructor: Joni Mack
Joni Mack earned her master's degree in speech-language pathology from the University of Illinois and worked in a variety of clinical settings — including birth-to-three, preschool and elementary-aged programs — before joining the communication sciences and disorders faculty at Augustana College.
Program dates: June 23-27, 2013
Course has filled.
Program cost: $600
Includes lodging, all meals and any field trips. Students arrive on campus Sunday, June 23, and depart Thursday, June 27.
Discover the importance of communication in this four-day hands-on experience in Augustana's Center for Speech, Language, and Hearing. You will observe children with communication disorders, talk with their parents, and assist professional speech-language pathologists in our fun summer therapy program for children with communication impairments. On the last day you will introduce your own creative therapeutic activity.
There is a limit of 10 students for this course.
A two-day commuter program is also available for local high school students.
Sunday, June 23
- Welcome reception
Monday, June 24
- Program introduction and orientation
- Introduction to speech sound disorders
- Guest speaker — parent of a child with severe speech sound disorder
- Introduction to language disorders
- Guest speaker — parent of a child with autism
Tuesday, June 25
- Planning for intervention
- Case study: Review background information on children with speech sound disorders and language disorders
- Project: Develop intervention activity for a specific client
- Observe clinical faculty during an intervention session
- Search for ideas/information
- Plan and prepare intervention materials
Wednesday, June 26
- Finalize intervention materials
- Observe clinical faculty during individual and group intervention sessions
Thursday, June 27
- Discussion: Review of speech, language, voice and fluency disorders
- Discussion: Review of the intervention process
- Project: Use developed activity during group intervention session