A Return to Hogwarts
Instructor: Pastor Richard Priggie
Pastor Richard Priggie has been the college chaplain for 13 years. An ELCA Lutheran pastor, he teaches an elective class in the first-year curriculum called The Soul of Harry Potter, which fills up within 24 hours of being open for registration every year.
Program dates: June 23-26, 2013
Program cost: $450
Includes lodging, all meals and any field trips. Students arrive on campus Sunday, June 23, and depart Wednesday, June 26.
- Request more information
- Registration is closed
Now that the seven-book series is complete and eight movies have been screened, Harry Potter fans have a chance to step back and delve more deeply into the saga which experts have called "the shared text" of this generation. Participants in this unique Harry Potter immersion will learn to use interpretive keys such as alchemy to read the books at a deeper level and will experience how it helps our reading to learn traditional literary archetypes, such as the shapeshifter and the shadow. We will concentrate on Deathly Hallows, comparing and contrasting how the book and the movies complement one another in exploring the deeper meanings of scenes and characters. Along the way, you will have a chance to discover your Patronus, use a Marauder's Map on a Hogwarts scavenger hunt, walk a labyrinth, and even play a bracing game of Quidditch.
Sunday, June 23
- Welcome reception
Monday, June 24
- Deathly Hallows, Part 1: Three scenes in the book and movie
- Alchemy, an interpretive key
- The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore
- Did Snape really love Lily?
- A Harry Potter scavenger hunt
Tuesday, June 25
- Deathly Hallows, Part 2: Three more scenes in book and movie
- Harry Potter, You, and The Hero's Journey
- Was Voldemort Harry's Shadow?
- A rousing Quidditch match
Wednesday, June 26
- Discovering your patronus
- The Ring Structure, a second interpretive key
- Walking the Labyrinth
- A unique Blessing/Sending ceremony