Real-World Advertising in the 21st Century
Instructor: Dr. Nadia Novotorova
Dr. Novotorova is an assistant professor of business administration with a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. She has worked with Augustana students on marketing and advertising projects for many local businesses, including Bethany for Children & Families, Child Abuse Council, John Deere Fitness Center, Living Lands and Waters, Quad City Arts, Rock Island Consortium, Cool Beanz Coffeehouse and more.
Program dates: June 22-27, 2014
Program cost: $750
Includes lodging, all meals and any field trips. Students arrive on campus Sunday, June 22, and depart Friday, June 27.
In this course, students will be part of a team that builds a strategy and works on a real advertising project for a local business. Students will develop design sense and advertising expertise by watching and critiquing TV commercials, creating ads and visiting a local agency to connect with the professionals.
Sunday, June 22
- Welcome reception
Monday, June 23
- Program Introduction & Orientation
- Discussion 1: Advertising Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow.
- Case-Study: Highlights in the History of Coca-Cola Television Advertising
- Discussion 2: The Economic, Social, & Regulatory Aspects of Advertising, Shock Advertising- Case-Study: Benetton Group
- Project: Develop your own advertising campaign. Visit with the owner of the local company
- Brainstorming session: Search for ideas/information
Tuesday, June 24
- Advertising in-house vs. Advertising Agency
- Case-Study: Gateway: Searching for the Right Advertising Agency
- Creative Strategy & Creative Process. Case-Study: Las Vegas
- Field trip to a local advertising agency
Wednesday, June 25
- Producing Ads for Print, Electronic, & Digital Media
- Case-Study: Real California Cheese Building a Brand
- Building Brand Through IMC
- Case-Study: Under Armour
Thursday, June 26
- Project Day: Developing the ad campaign for the local company
Friday, June 27
- Project Day: Developing PowerPoint presentation
- Presenting your advertising campaign