Field experience and internships
Through internships and various short term projects, the Augustana College environmental science programs keep close connections with both local agencies and with corporations and public agencies across the country. Internships provide students with a full eight academic credits for 40 hours of work each week, while field experience requires around 12 hours of work each week. Internships and work experiences last for the duration of the academic term.
The college's location within the Quad Cities is beneficial for students seeking internship or work experiences within the area. The environmental programs maintain active ties with the regional offices (located in Rock Island) of two important federal environmental agencies -- the Corps of Engineers and the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bi-State Regional Commission, four city planning offices, and the U.S.D.A. Natural Resources Conservation Services offices in both Scott and Rock Island counties. In addition, local private environmental engineering firms utilize students on special projects.
Examples of internships for students in environmental programs include:
- Bi-State Regional Commission Cities of Rock Island, Moline, and Davenport
- U.S.D.A. Natural Resources Conservation Service in Rock Island and Scott counties
- U.S. Weather Service, Moline office
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Rock Island Field Office
- U.S. Soil Conservation Service, Rock Island County Office, Moline
- Scott County Zoning Office / Rock Island County Zoning Office
- Neighborhood Housing Survey, Davenport, Iowa
- Office of the Mayor, Galena, Ill.
- Village of Oak Park, Ill.
- Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Ill.
- Nature Conservancy
- Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, Waukesha, Wis.
- Forest Service, North Central Region Experiment Station
- Eagle Creek Nature Park, Indianapolis
- Illinois Department of Conservation, Springfield (or at a state park)
- Illinois Department of Water Resources, Springfield or Chicago
- Clarke Environmental Mosquito Management Inc.
- State of Illinois District Forester Office
- Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission, Chicago
- Historic Preservation Office, Evanston, Ill.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation, Chicago (midwest regional office)
- Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois, Chicago
- City Planning Departments in St. Louis, Danville, Ill., and Overland Park, Kansas
- National Geographic Society, Washington, D.C.
- Baltimore Housing and Community Development Department
- Bureau of Land Management, New Orleans
- Everglades National Park, Florida
- National Park Service, Midwest and Rocky Mountain Regional Planning Office, Denver
- State of Vermont Planning Office U.S. Forest Service, Oregon
- State of Washington Interagency Coordinating Committee for Outdoor Recreation
- Environmental Intern Program (placements in many areas across the country)
- Salt River Project, Tempe, Arizona ARIX Corporation, Grand Junction Colo.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation, Washington, D.C.
- United Nations Environment Program, New York or Nairobi, Kenya
- Regional Resource Development Office, Ecuador
Many students also find internships through the Student Conservation Association in Charleston, N.C., or the Environmental Internship Program coordinated out of Boston.