Events and News
1. Professor Pamela Trotter (Biochemistry) is seeking students to work with her this summer on her research. For more detail see Dr. Trotter's Web page http://www.augustana.edu/users/chtrotter/
2. Professor Richard Narske and Max Petersen, his summer research student, attended a weekend Symposium for Undergraduate research at Argonne National Laboratories in November. Mr. Petersen presented a paper on his research, "Synthesis of Bio diesel Using Nanocrystalline Metal Oxides".
3. Professor Trotter and Professor Biggin attend a meeting with their summer research students at Washington University, St Louis, Missouri in November to present their research from this past summer. The titles of the posters follow:
Matthew Pautz: "Subcellular Localization of the Glutamate Dehydrogenase Isozymes in S. cerevisiae by Epitope Tagging"
M. Zak Rajput: " Metabolic Enrichment Studies of the Glutamate Dehydrogenase Single Mutation Strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae"
Deidre Leist: "Adaptation to Acetate Carbon Source Upregulates the Mitochondrial Retrograde Signaling Pathway"
Professor Trotter presented a plenary talk, "Beyond Bread and Beer: Using Yeast to Probe Metabolism and Compartmentation in Cells", at this same meeting also.
4. Professors Crawford(Biochemistry), Biggin(Analytical/Environmental), and Trotter(Biochemistry) will be working on the second year of their Merck Grant. This is a three year grant that supports summer student research at Augustana. All are working in conjunction with professors in the Biology Department.
5. Greg Domski has accepted a position as assistant professor of chemistry. Greg is a graduate of Augustana College and will be defending his dissertation this summer. Greg area of expertise is Organo-Metallic Chemistry. He will be taking over the Inorganic courses that Dr. David DeWit has taught for so many years. Dr. DeWit will be concentrating on General Chemistry.
6. Professors Crawford and Trotter will be attending the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in San Diego in April, 2008. Zak Rajput, Professor Trotter's research student, will be presenting a poster at this meeting. The title of the poster is "Carbon-13 NMR studies on the glutamate metabolism of glutamate dehydrogenase mutants of yeast".