Business Day 101 - Student Info
What is Business Day?
- Business Day is a premiere job shadowing event exclusively for Augustana students. You spend a day shadowing a business executive of your choosing. You learn all about how your academic path connects with the professional world.
Why should I participate?
- Business Day connects students to local businesses. Through this connection you can gain an inside look into that company and industry, network, and possibly even land a job or an internship! You also get a delicious breakfast and a day away from classes.
Isn't it just for Business students?
- Not at all! Business Day is for students of all majors.
When is Business Day?
- This year Business Day will be held on Friday, April 19th. Be sure to notify your teachers in advance!
How to I choose a company?
- Go to www.augustana.edu/businessday and you can browse participating companies. On the website, companies describe what type of students they're interested in and provide information about the company. Sign-ups begin Sunday, March 17th at 12 pm (noon) and are first-come, first-serve. Be sure to sign up early!
What should I do to prepare for Business Day?
- Research the company by looking at their website. If they don't have a website, look at competitors or just the industry in general.
- Call or e-mail the company to introduce yourself and see if there is anything in particular they'd like you to do in order to prepare for the day.
- Think of questions for your sponsor:
- What made them choose this field?
- What do they do on a daily basis?
- What is the best/worst part of that job or industry?
- Update your resume, have the Career Center look it over, and bring a few copies with you.
How can I make a good impression?
- Dress according to what the company requires. Some companies require business professional clothing and others require business casual. Check the Business Day website for the dress code of your company.
- Shake hands firmly, smile, and maintain eye contact when you meet your sponsor
- Forgo that last minute smoke
- No baseball hats
- Guys - lose the earrings!
- Ladies - no one needs to see a lot of skin!
- Bring a portfolio with your resume and pen
- Stand out in your group of students by taking the initiative and asking good questions
What do I do at the breakfast?
- Take the lead when your sponsor(s) arrive and introduce yourself!
- Remember that they do not know anyone--Be a good host!
- Engage in a meaningful and intelligent conversation
- Watch your eating habits
- Set expectations early; hint at what you hope to gain from the day
- "I'm looking forward to finding out . . . ."
- "What should we expect from our morning with you?"
- "Will we have the opportunity to . . . ?"
What should I do once I get there?
- Take advantage of the situation and learn all you can
- Be courteous and professional with everyone you meet
- Don't whisper to friends- it's rude!
- Focus your attention on the host
- ASK QUESTIONS!!! Show off your curious mind
What if I'm paired with a sponsor that isn't in my career path?
- You can always learn from everyone
- Be flexible
- You might learn you are interested if you give them a chance
- Each work environment is different
- Make notes of what you like and dislike
- You never know who your sponsor knows
- They could introduce you to your next boss
- Each sponsor will help prepare you for the world of work
- Learn from them
What do I do afterwards?
- Write a thank you!!
- Business Department provides Augustana thank you notes and postage
- Write a thank you to your sponsor(s)
- Write the note Friday afternoon when you return
- Write the note within two days!
- This step is courteous, professional, and sets you apart - Do it!
What's in it for me?
- Explore a career field
- Make networking contacts
- Inquire about a summer job, internship, or full-time position
- Meet new people
- See new places
- Try new things
- Apply your classroom material to the workplace
- Get a break from classes
- Get advice on your resume
- Find your next employer
Why do Businesses participate?
- They love Augustana Students
- They get to learn all about the Millennial Generation - YOU!
- It is a great opportunity for THEM to network with college students
- Many companies will offer internships, full-time jobs, through this initial contact
- It's a chance to give back to the community!
- Some have been participating for 30 years!