LAURA M. HARTMAN, Assistant Professor
B.A., Indiana; Ph.D., Virginia
DANIEL E. LEE, Professor, Chair
B.A., Concordia (Moorhead); M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Yale
JASON MAHN, Associate Professor
B.A., Gustavus Adolphus; M.A., Luther Theological Seminary; Ph.D., Emory University
DANIEL A. MORRIS, Conrad J. Bergendoff Fellow
B.A., Davidson College, M.A., Yale Divinity School, Ph.D., University of Iowa
NIRMALA S. SALGADO, Professor
B.A., M.A., London; Ph.D., Northwestern
ERIC C. STEWART, Assistant Professor
B.A., Pacific Lutheran; M.A., Claremont; Ph.D., Notre Dame
CYRUS ALI ZARGAR, Assistant Professor
B.A., University of California-Los Angeles; M.A., Ph.D., University of California-Berkeley
All students enrolling as first-year students at Augustana are required to take a course in Christian Traditions before the end of their sophomore year. Transfer students fulfill this requirement as soon as possible after enrollment. Students must choose one of the following 200-level religion courses in order to fulfill this requirement. These courses do not count toward the religion major/minor, and only students who have not yet fulfilled their Christian Traditions requirement are eligible to take one (and only one) of these courses. (N.B. Successful completion of the first year of Foundations or Logos fulfills the Christian Traditions requirement if one of the courses in the series is taught by a professor of religion who normally teaches in Christian Traditions courses.)
RELG-201 (PS) American Christianities (3)
RELG-203 (PH) Christian Ethics (3)
RELG-205 (PP) Christian Origins (3)
RELG-207 (PL) Christian Scripture (3)
RELG-209 (PH) Christian Theology (3)
Major in Religion.
28 credits beginning with RELG-260 (3 credits), and concluding with RELG-INTR-Sxx/Lxx/Axx Senior Inquiry/Service Learning/Academic Internship (3 credits) and RELG-460 (4 credits). The remaining 18 credits must include at least one course (3 credits) from each of the following four concentrations:
- Christian Foundations (RELG-310, RELG-335, RELG-360, RELG-371, RELG-373, RELG-393)
- Theological and Ethical Reflection (RELG-323, RELG-325, RELG-326, RELG-327, RELG-328, RELG-364, RELG-391)
- Religious Life and Practice (RELG-311, RELG-313, RELG-363, RELG-392)
- Comparative Religion (RELG-300, RELG-362, RELG-365, RELG-378, RELG-379, RELG-394)
At least two of these courses (6 credits) must come from RELG-391, RELG-392, RELG-393, RELG-394 or RELG-410.
Minor in Religion.
18 credits beginning with RELG-260, and including at least one course (3 credits) from each of three of the concentrations described above, one of which must come from RELG-391, RELG-392, RELG-393, RELG-394 or RELG-410.
Minor in Ethics.
21 credits, including the following:
• Core courses: either RELG-203 or RELG-203a; either PHIL-203 or PHIL-205; and PHIL-323
• Complementary courses: two of RELG-323, RELG-325, RELG-326 or RELG-327; and one of PHIL-322, PHIL-331 or PHIL-325
• At least one additional course from those listed above.