Fourth floor of the Center for Student Life (north end)
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Sunday: 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Students may drop in or call ahead (x8987) for an appointment. Appointments are encouraged at the end of terms.
The Reading/Writing Center provides all Augustana students with an opportunity to participate in individual instruction and support to gain ability and confidence as college students. The center is staffed by four faculty members who conduct one-time sessions or multiple-scheduled sessions designed to promote academic self-confidence, skills and knowledge. The center also employs peer tutors who have taken two terms of instruction in writing, learning and tutoring theory. These student tutors serve as academic mentors who understand what other students are experiencing and can explain course concepts and practices in a non-stressful way.
Students can use the Reading/Writing Center for:
- advice on any stage of writing a paper: getting started, drafting, revising, or proofreading;
- instruction on reading comprehension and strategies for reading complex texts;
- instruction on academic success skills such as time management, note taking, effective studying and test taking;
- guidance on writing personal statements for graduat school or job placement;
- practice with English skills, if English is not their first language;
- individual help in preparing for reading comprehension or writing portions of graduate examinations;
- checking reference books concerning writing or academic success;
- a comfortable place to ask questions and share knowledge