This Week's Message
Given all the work we engaged in over summer-including research and writing, summer classes, international study, and our work on strategic planning-it feels like we never quite left! Our momentum definitely bodes well for an exciting year ahead.
Yet this is the beginning of a new academic year. Many new faces have joined us in the faculty ranks, and I would like to welcome them into our community. We have 20 new faculty members in full-time positions, and there are a few more joining us in a part-time capacity. I look forward to introducing our colleagues at the first full faculty meeting.
As we begin this new academic year, I want to extend my gratitude for your commitment to the mission of our college and for serving it admirably. Without the contributions of each one of you, we would not be able to provide the education, experiences, services and opportunities that we make available for our students. Thank you!
In keeping with the Augustana tradition, we have a very busy year ahead of us. Some of this work includes:
- Moving forward with our strategic planning efforts;
- Working to improve advising and mentoring of our students;
- Establishing a Center for Faculty Enrichment as recommended by the Faculty Development Taskforce;
- Working to recruit a more diverse faculty;
- Planning for the Higher Learning Commission visit in Fall 2015. That is only two years away! This includes clearly defining student learning outcomes for all our programs and mapping them to our curriculum;
- And, most importantly, building a healthy effective community where we live the values that we cherish and espouse.
I am confident that we will work together on these issues as we build a vibrant future for Augustana. I look forward to the year that lies ahead of us. Wishing you the best for the 2013-14 academic year.
Dean of the College