Augustana's Grants Website
Student-Faculty Academic Partnership Grant
The Augustana Student Research/Inquiry Committee is accepting applications for Student-Faculty Academic Partnership Grants until April 8. This is a new funding opportunity offered through the Committee, which supports student involvement in a faculty member's scholarly and/or creative projects. Students selected by faculty will undertake projects intended to enrich their scholarly interests and abilities and prepare them for advanced research of their own. Applications are submitted by faculty on behalf of their student(s). For more information and to find application materials, visit: http://www.augustana.edu/x48849.xml.
The Faculty Research Committee
solicits proposals for
SABBATICAL LEAVE GRANTS and SUMMER RESEARCH STIPENDS
Nature of these research grants (see Faculty Handbook for details):
- If you have been granted a sabbatical for two or more terms of the next academic year (2013-2014), you are eligible to apply for a $3,600 supplemental research grant. There are two available Sabbatical Leave Grants
- If you are a non-tenured faculty member and have academic rank, you may apply for a $1,800 summer research stipend. There are two available Summer Research Stipends
- The grants are to support the creative and scholarly activity of faculty.
- The grants support a variety of activities, including basic research and creative work.
- Fundable items include faculty salary replacement, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, computer time, typing costs, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects not eligible for support include those aimed at bolstering academic coursework, and dissertation research/writing.
- The proposals are screened by the Faculty Research Committee and funded by Augustana College.
- Awarded funds will be available in July 2013.
- In the context of the top two bulleted items above, any faculty member with academic rank who is full-time faculty, joint appointment faculty, adjunct or part-time faculty, are eligible. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
Guidelines and selection process of the proposals (see Faculty Handbook for details):
- Five page maximum proposal with itemized budget
- Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget (budget must distinguish between money that will be paid to applicant and money that will be used to pay expenses), required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e., publications, art exhibits, baseline info for future work
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Sabbatical Leave Grant proposals must include a copy of the approved sabbatical proposal
- Current Curriculum Vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3. Criteria used by committee to rate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation,
appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication or public attention,
4. Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College and the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee no later than 1 year after notification of the grant. Should the project not be completed within a year, a progress report should be submitted to the Chair of the committee and the Academic Affairs Office.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana's financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by e- mail attachment if at all possible (otherwise six hard copies) by 5:00 PM on April 3, 2013 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office, 116 Founders Hall. Expected date of award announcements: April 19, 2013. Direct questions to any member of the committee: David Arbesú, Daniel Conway, Paul Croll, Nathan Frank, Eric Stewart, or Margaret Morse.
The Freistat Center is extending its deadline for Travel Awards to Present Research at International Conferences. For faculty presenting formal papers, please submit a resume, prospectus of paper, and tentative budget. Application deadline is April 1, 2013. Please submit materials to Heidi Storl in Sorensen Hall 262. Submissions may be electronic or hard copy.
The Freistat Center is extending its deadline for In-country research grants for Africa, Asia, Europe or Latin America. For faculty conducting research leading to peer reviewed publication, please submit a research proposal, a tentative budget, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Application deadline is April 1, 2013. Please submit materials to Heidi Storl, Sorensen Hall 262. Submissions may be electronic or hard copy.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS - FACULTY SUMMER SPECIAL COLLECTIONS RESEARCH ALLOWANCE
Special Collections invites applications for the Summer Special Collections Faculty Research Allowance for summer 2013. These grants are intended to permit faculty to explore Special Collections materials, how they might be incorporated into existing or new courses, and/or whether they can serve as primary resources for student or faculty research. The allowance, awarded as PDF funding this year, gives faculty enhanced access (for at least one week in the summer) to the materials and the staff of Special Collections. Applications are due March 29, 2013, and should be submitted to Sarah Horowitz, Special Collections Librarian. For more information about the application process, please visit http://www.augustana.edu/x34663.xml or contact Sarah Horowitz for more information.