Eligibility: All tenure-track and tenured faculty
Deadline: December 14
Notification: January 15; funding disbursed end of May
Presidential Research Fellowships are intended to support faculty research, scholarship and artistic work at Augustana. The fellowships will pay up to $4,000 for a faculty research project to be undertaken in the summer. Up to $750 is available for travel and expenses. The proposal should constitute a new area of research, a new area of an existing research agenda, or support for substantial, ongoing work. Proposals are invited in any of the four areas of scholarship: discovery, teaching, integration and application (outlined by Ernest Boyer in Scholarship Reconsidered) as well as in artistic work. Proposals are competitive and will be reviewed and ranked by an off-campus evaluator. Priority will be given to faculty who were not awarded a Presidential Research Fellowships in the previous year. Faculty members who have summer research funding as part of their contracts in a given year are not eligible for Presidential Research Fellowships in that year. PRF funds are available only to tenured and tenure-track faculty.
Submission to a peer-reviewed journal-or the equivalent for an artistic project-is normally expected within a year (by July the following year); in disciplines where such a deadline is inappropriate, please include a date for submission in the proposal. A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due at the same time. Publication or acceptance by the following year will result in an additional $1,000 stipend.
Proposals should address the specific nature and scope of the research, as well as its likely audience. Proposals should be no more than five pages, including a detailed budget for any expenses and a description of the proposed venue for publication or performance. External readers will evaluate proposals and make a recommendation.
Submit proposals to Mary Koski in the Office of Academic Affairs.
Responsibilities of the Grantee
- If you have received PRF funds in the past five years, please indicate in your proposal if and where the project resulted in publication.
- Presidential Research Fellows will be expected to do a substantial portion of the search on campus through the summer of the award, unless the research calls them away from the area.
- Presidential Research Fellows will not be eligible for summer teaching other than travel courses lasting no more than two weeks.
- A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due to the Dean of the College within a year of the award money being dispersed.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products produced from work.
The Office of Academic Affairs is pleased to announce two new grant opportunities for faculty course development:
Below grants proposals are due to the Office of Academic Affairs by November 12, 2012. Decisions will be announced by December 14, 2012. The proposed courses are expected to run during the 2013-14 or 2014-15 academic years.
Blended Learning Technology Grants at Augustana will support the creation or redesign of an individual course or a sequence of courses that will be delivered primarily during the 2013-14 or 2014-15 academic years. These grants are an extension of an earlier blended learning grants program funded through Academic Affairs and managed by the Augustana Center for Teaching and Learning. All full-time and adjunct faculty are eligible to apply for funding. For purposes of this request for proposals, blended learning is defined as a curricular design that integrates online educational mechanisms with face-to-face activities in a planned, pedagogically valuable manner.
This grant will provide awarded applicants:
- Support to investigate, identify, and incorporate online learning technologies into existing courses and/or to develop new, blended learning curricular experiences for students
- Support to identify and construct mechanisms to assess the relative effectiveness and efficiency of blended learning curricular designs in achieving students learning outcomes
Applicants can apply for one of three grant awards:
- $1500 Adaptation Award
- $4500 Course Creation Award (or a course release)
- $1000 Course Sequence Collaboration Award
Total number of grants funded: 10-15
Please refer to a detailed Blended Learning Technology Grants Request for Proposals and Proposal Guidelines HERE.
~ ~ ~ ~
Connection Grants at Augustana supports the creation or redesign of an individual course or a sequence of courses that will be delivered primarily during the 2013-14 or 2014-15 academic years. New or redesigned courses will feature curricular designs that do one of two things:
- For the humanities and social sciences: The course will more intentionally connect traditional study in the humanities/social sciences and study in our pre-professional programs. "Humanities and social sciences" here reflects traditional definitions, not our divisional structures, so the arts and economics are also included. Examples of already existing courses that accomplish this include the Religion department's courses in Medical Ethics and Business Ethics, and the Spanish department's creation of the new major Spanish for Professional Use. Collaborative grants may be proposed with faculty in pre-professional programs.
- For all disciplines: The course will more intentionally connect the college and the local Quad Cities community by making some aspect of our location central to the course's content and learning objectives. An example of an already existing course that accomplishes this is the Environmental Literature and Landscape Learning Community.
Applicants can apply for either (or both) of the two grants listed below. Awards can be paid as stipends and/or can be used for professional development activities related to the grant.
- $1500 Course Redesign or Course Creation Award
- $1000 Course Sequence or New Program Collaboration Award
Total number of grants funded: 10-15
Please refer to a detailed Connection Grants Request for Proposals and Proposal Guidelines HERE.