Community Engagement Center
Study Abroad Fair
Saturday, October 20
3:00 - 5:00 PM Olin Hall
If you have students asking about study abroad, thinking about study abroad or even just capable of repeating the words study abroad when spoken clearly, please be sure to let them know that October 20th is the day to find out about all of the programs being offered in 2013-2014. Students will be able to meet with program directors, faculty and student participants from past years. Information will be available on program costs, dates, courses, how to apply and how to get Augie Choice. Whether it is a full term away (East Asia, Amsterdam, Denver, D.C. ), a Winter Term 5-7 week program (Australia, Holden Village), summer study (Dijon, Ecuador, Nicaragua, London), exchanges (Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, Sweden or Botswana) or courses with a travel component over break (Guatemala, Greece, Berlin, Russia) there are a lot of options for Augie students in 2013-2014. The best way for your students and advisees to find out about any of our offerings is to attend the Study Abroad Fair.
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: COFFEE AND CONVERSATION
Join your colleagues on Thursdays at 9:00 AM in the CEC space in Sorensen Hall for Coffee and Conversation. Talk to your colleagues and meet all the new faculty that have moved into Sorensen for the year. Enjoy a hot cup of Starbucks coffee ($1.50 for a 12 oz. cup of coffee, FREE for the first 10 people). Indulge in a sweet treat. Stop by as you are able. We look forward to seeing you Thursday!
If you would like to access Augie Hub, our on-line career management system, go to Augie Hub and create an alumni account. Some have expressed concern about the volume of email blasts that they would receive if they register. First, there are very few email blasts that are sent to alumni. Second, you can opt out of all email communications in the privacy tab of your profile. Simiple select "no" to the first and third options. We are here to help you create an account. Please contact Lisa Slater, 309-794-7339 for assistance.
Faculty Development Delivered to You in Your Office
The CEC has about six months left in a one year subscription to Magna Publications' "20 Minute Mentor." These presentations are on a variety of topics related to teaching and learning, and all take less than 20 minutes to watch. There are over forty different presentations. Here are some of the titles:
- How can I use informal writing as part of a low-stakes grading strategy?
- How should I respond to wrong (or not very good) answers?
- How can I get students to read their assignments before class?
Assessment and Learning
- How can I promote deep, lasting student learning?
- How can I promote deep learning through critical reflection?
- How can I clarify fuzzy learning goals?
Teaching and Learning
- How can I capture student attention in the first five minutes?
- Should I take attendance?
- How do I create a climate for learning in my classroom?
- Can service learning work in my discipline?
- How do I get started with service learning?
- How can I discuss academic integrity during the first class?
- What are the three worst mistakes in a classroom?
To access these and other titles use the following directions:
Create a new account
- Go to www.magnapubs.com/account
- For new users, click Create an Account. Complete all Required Information fields and click Create Account. (NOTE: a verification email will be sent to the email address used to register. Click the link in the email to validate your account. This must be done within 48 hours or your account will not be created)
Access your Magna account
- Go to www.mentorcommons.com
- Click orange "Enter Authorization Code" button
- Enter your email or username and your unique password and click "Login"
- In the box, enter your group's Authorization Code: AC3519NP
- Select Activate to access 20 Minute Mentor Commons
- Use the "Click here" option to access Mentor Commons. Access or search any of the featured programs.
Please note: entering the Authorization Code is done only once. Hereafter, you will access the subscription by logging in to www.magnapubs.com/account using your email address and password. Click on My Account from the top navigation bar, and under My Purchases click Subscriptions. Mentor Commons will be listed to the right. Click View On-Demand Videos to access Mentor Commons.