The Faculty Research Committee solicits proposals for the Faculty Research Fund
Nature of this research fund:
- The fund exists to support the creative and scholarly activity of the faculty.
- Fundable items include, but are not limited to, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects aimed at bolstering academic coursework or assisting with dissertation research and writing are not eligible.
- Proposals are reviewed by the Faculty Research Committee and funded as part of the college's annual administrative budget.
- The total annual funds are determined by the $10,000 allocation from the college, plus unspent monies from previous years. This year's amount will be approximately $12,200.
- Typical grant awards range from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the number of proposals. The average grant for the last three years was $1,600.
- Continuing projects are eligible for repeated funding but must include an annual timeline and annual budget. Proposals that build upon previously funded projects must demonstrate progress and have expended the previous year's funding.
- Any faculty member with academic rank, including full-time, joint-appointment, adjunct or part-time faculty, is eligible to apply. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
Guidelines and selection criteria for the research fund (see Faculty Handbook for details):
1) Five page maximum proposal including itemized budget
2) Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget, required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e. publications, art exhibits, baseline information for future work, etc.
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Current curriculum vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3) Criteria used by the committee to evaluate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation, appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication and public attention, applicant's qualifications, inclusion of student researchers (student researchers are not required, but are often favorably reviewed)
4) Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College, the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee, and Mary Koski no later than 1 year after notification of the grant.
- Funds not expended by 1 year after the award notification will revert back to the general Faculty Research account. Any exceptions must be approved by the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee and the Dean of the College prior to the end of the grant year.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by email attachment if at all possible (otherwise, six hard copies) by 5:00 PM on Monday, January 17, 2011 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office. Awards will be announced by February 7, 2011. Direct questions to any member of the committee: David Arbesú, Ian Harrington, Jamie Nelson, Margaret Morse, Patricia Shea, or Jim van Howe.
Augustana's Grants Website: http://www.augustana.edu/x10017.xml