Presidential Research Fellowship
Eligibility: All tenure-track and tenured faculty
Deadline: December 15
Notification: January 15; funding disbursed July and August
Presidential Research Fellowships are intended to support faculty research, scholarship and artistic work at Augustana. The fellowships will pay up to $4,000 for a faculty research project to be undertaken in the summer. Up to $750 is available for travel and expenses. The proposal should constitute a new area of research, a new area of an existing research agenda, or support for substantial, ongoing work. Proposals are invited in any of the four areas of scholarship: discovery, teaching, integration and application (outlined by Ernest Boyer in Scholarship Reconsidered) as well as in artistic work. Proposals are competitive and will be reviewed and ranked by an off-campus evaluator. Priority will be given to faculty who were not awarded a Presidential Research Fellowships in the previous year. Faculty members who have summer research funding as part of their contracts in a given year are not eligible for Presidential Research Fellowships in that year. PRF funds are available only to tenured and tenure-track faculty.
Submission to a peer-reviewed journal-or the equivalent for an artistic project-is normally expected within a year (by July the following year); in disciplines where such a deadline is inappropriate, please include a date for submission in the proposal. A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due at the same time. Publication or acceptance by the following year will result in an additional $1,000 stipend.
Proposals should address the specific nature and scope of the research, as well as its likely audience. Proposals should be no more than five pages, including a detailed budget for any expenses and a description of the proposed venue for publication or performance. External readers will evaluate proposals and make a recommendation.
Submit proposals to Mary Koski in Academic Affairs.
Responsibilities of the Grantee
- If you have received PRF funds in the past five years, please indicate in your proposal if and where the project resulted in publication.
- Presidential Research Fellows will be expected to do a substantial portion of the search on campus through the summer of the award, unless the research calls them away from the area.
- Presidential Research Fellows will not be eligible for summer teaching other than travel courses lasting no more than two weeks.
- A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due to the Dean of the College within a year of the award money being dispersed.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products produced from work.
The Faculty Research Committee solicits proposals for the Faculty Research Fund
Nature of this research fund:
- The fund exists to support the creative and scholarly activity of the faculty.
- Fundable items include, but are not limited to, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects aimed at bolstering academic coursework or assisting with dissertation research and writing are not eligible.
- Proposals are reviewed by the Faculty Research Committee and funded as part of the college's annual administrative budget.
- The total annual funds are determined by the $10,000 allocation from the college, plus unspent monies from previous years. This year's amount will be approximately $12,200.
- Typical grant awards range from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the number of proposals. The average grant for the last three years was $1,600.
- Continuing projects are eligible for repeated funding but must include an annual timeline and annual budget. Proposals that build upon previously funded projects must demonstrate progress and have expended the previous year's funding.
- Any faculty member with academic rank, including full-time, joint-appointment, adjunct or part-time faculty, is eligible to apply. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
Guidelines and selection criteria for the research fund (see Faculty Handbook for details):
1) Five page maximum proposal including itemized budget
2) Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget, required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e. publications, art exhibits, baseline information for future work, etc.
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Current curriculum vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3) Criteria used by the committee to evaluate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation, appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication and public attention, applicant's qualifications, inclusion of student researchers (student researchers are not required, but are often favorably reviewed)
4) Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College, the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee, and Mary Koski no later than 1 year after notification of the grant.
- Funds not expended by 1 year after the award notification will revert back to the general Faculty Research account. Any exceptions must be approved by the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee and the Dean of the College prior to the end of the grant year.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by email attachment if at all possible (otherwise, six hard copies) by 5:00 PM on Monday, January 17, 2011 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office. Awards will be announced by February 7, 2011. Direct questions to any member of the committee: David Arbesú, Ian Harrington, Jamie Nelson, Margaret Morse, Patricia Shea, or Jim van Howe.
Augustana's Grants Website: http://www.augustana.edu/x10017.xml