Augustana's Grants Website: http://www.augustana.edu/x10017.xml
Presidential Research Fellowship
Eligibility: All tenure-track and tenured faculty
Deadline: December 15
Notification: January 15; funding dispersed July and August
Presidential Research Fellowships are intended to support faculty research, scholarship and artistic work at Augustana. The fellowships will pay up to $4,000 for a faculty research project to be undertaken in the summer. Up to $750 is available for travel and expenses. The proposal should constitute a new area of research, a new area of an existing research agenda, or support for substantial, ongoing work. Proposals are invited in any of the four areas of scholarship: discovery, teaching, integration and application (outlined by Ernest Boyer in Scholarship Reconsidered) as well as in artistic work. Proposals are competitive and will be reviewed and ranked by an off-campus evaluator. Priority will be given to faculty who were not awarded a Presidential Research Fellowships in the previous year. Faculty members who have summer research funding as part of their contracts in a given year are not eligible for Presidential Research Fellowships in that year. PRF funds are available only to tenured and tenure-track faculty.
Submission to a peer-reviewed journal-or the equivalent for an artistic project-is normally expected within a year (by July the following year); in disciplines where such a deadline is inappropriate, please include a date for submission in the proposal. A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due at the same time. Publication or acceptance by the following year will result in an additional $1,000 stipend.
Submit proposals to Mary Koski in Academic Affairs.
Responsibilities of the Grantee
- If you have received PRF funds in the past five years, please indicate in your proposal if and where the project resulted in publication.
- Presidential Research Fellows will be expected to do a substantial portion of the search on campus through the summer of the award, unless the research calls them away from the area.
- Presidential Research Fellows will not be eligible for summer teaching other than travel courses lasting no more than two weeks.
- A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due to the Dean of the College within a year of the award money being dispersed.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products produced from work.