The Academic Affairs Office Welcomes Sheila Hendricks
who replaced Rita Czupka in the Academic Affairs Office. Sheila has been working in the Business Office since January 2005, most recently as an Assistant Payable Assistant, and prior to that as an Assistant Cashier. She has been with Augustana College since 2000. Please stop by our office in 116 Founders Hall and welcome Sheila.
Tuesday, November 24
10:30 a.m. & 4:30 p.m.
Wallenberg Hall, Denkmann Building
President Steve Bahls invites you to a college-wide celebration in honor of student achievement, on Tuesday, November 24, in Wallenberg Hall.
Two identical programs will be held in order to facilitate your participation in this time of celebration. Please join us for food, music and a viewing of student stories from our new video-based annual report, as we give thanks for a harvest of encouraging news:
- The National Survey of Student Engagement has shown excellent results for Augustana within key educational practices.
- We've reached a milestone in international study: 40 percent of our students now study abroad.
- Our soccer team has taken the CCIW Championship and, after winning the regional tournament here last weekend, prepares to host a "Sweet Sixteen" sectional tournament this weekend.
- Ninety-seven percent of our academic departments have implemented Senior Inquiry, the capstone experience for Augustana students. The college has added women's lacrosse to its varsity roster, and now offers 22 varsity sports: 11 each for men and women.
- Augustana's 2009 Senior Survey reported 84 percent of graduating seniors had volunteered or done community service while in college.
- Nearly 500 of our students-and many of their families-participated in the efforts to ensure the recent success of the Monetary Award Program (MAP) funding legislation in Illinois.
- We have surpassed the $100 million goal for Authentically Augustana: A Call to Action. A significant portion of the funds will be used for student scholarships.
- During the 2008-09 fiscal year, alumni donors contributed an astounding $1.4 million to The Augustana Fund, providing far-reaching benefits to the academic program and student life.
We'll celebrate these things and more in Wallenberg Hall on Thursday, November 24, at two different times-10:30 a.m. and again at 4:30 p.m.-so that more of the Augustana community can attend. Please join us!
Presidential Research Fellowship
Eligibility: All tenure-track and tenured faculty
Deadline: December 15
Notification: January 15; funding dispersed July and August
Presidential Research Fellowships are intended to support faculty research, scholarship and artistic work at Augustana. The fellowships will pay up to $4,000 for a faculty research project to be undertaken in the summer. Up to $750 is available for travel and expenses. The proposal should constitute a new area of research, a new area of an existing research agenda, or support for substantial, ongoing work. Proposals are invited in any of the four areas of scholarship: discovery, teaching, integration and application (outlined by Ernest Boyer in Scholarship Reconsidered); artistic work and scholarship on teaching and learning can be supported by PRF funds as well. Proposals are competitive and will be reviewed and ranked by an off-campus evaluator. Priority will be given to faculty who were not awarded a Presidential Research Fellowships in the previous year. Faculty members who have summer research funding as part of their contracts in a given year are not eligible for Presidential Research Fellowships in that year. PRF funds are available only to tenured or tenure-track faculty.
Submission to a peer-reviewed journal-or the equivalent for an artistic project-is normally expected within a year (in disciplines where such a deadline is inappropriate, please include a date for submission in the proposal). A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due on the same date. Publication or acceptance by the following year will result in an additional $1,000 stipend.
Submit proposals to Mary Koski in Academic Affairs.
Responsibilities of the Grantee
- Presidential Research Fellows will be expected to do a substantial portion of the search on campus through the summer of the award, unless the research calls them away from the area.
- Presidential Research Fellows will not be eligible for summer teaching other than travel courses lasting no more than two weeks.
- A report on the research, a copy of the letter of submission, and a copy of the paper will be due to the Dean of the College a year of award notification.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products produced from work.
Two New Displays in the Library Celebrate the
Sesquicentennial of Augustana College (1860-2010)
"You Can Take It With You: Augustana Mementos and Souvenirs"
2nd floor, by the entrance
From an 1894 wool blanket to the ubiquitous freshman beanie to an Augie license plate, this display will sate your nostalgia for Augie souvenirs.
"True Blue and Gold: Memorabilia from Special Collections"
Special Collections, 1st floor, open 1-5, M-F
Now this is classy stuff-an Augie belt buckle from 1915 and a dance card from 1927. How about a 1929 fob for your pocket watch?
Come see these displays-fun, fabulous, and free!