Faculty Research Grants
Deadline: January 19, 2009
The deadline for the Faculty Research grants is coming up. The text below is what Jamie Nelson, faculty research chair, sent out prior to break. Please contact Jamie or members of the committee, listed in the last paragraph, if you have questions.
Faculty Research Fund
Nature of this research fund (see Faculty Handbook for more details):
- The fund exists to support the creative and scholarly activity of the faculty.
- Fundable items include, but are not limited to, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects aimed at bolstering academic coursework or assisting with dissertation research and writing are not eligible.
- Proposals are screened by the Faculty Research Committee and funded as part of the college's annual administrative budget.
- The total annual funds are determined by the $10,000 allocation from the college, plus leftover monies from previous years. This year's amount will be approximately $11,950.
- Typical grant awards range from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the number of proposals. The average grant for the last two years was $1,700.
- Any faculty member with academic rank, including full-time, joint-appointment, adjunct or part-time faculty, is eligible to apply. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
- Recent awardees were from the English, Music, Biology, Accounting, Psychology, Communication Science and Disorders, Religion, Sociology, German and Art departments.
Guidelines and selection criteria for the research fund (see Faculty Handbook for details):
1) Five page maximum proposal including itemized budget
2) Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget, required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e. publications, art exhibits, baseline information for future work, etc.
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Current curriculum vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five-page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3) Criteria used by the committee to evaluate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation, appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication and public attention, applicant's qualifications, inclusion of student researchers (student researchers are not required, but are often favorably reviewed)
4) Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College and the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee no later than 1 year after notification of the grant. Should the project not be completed within a year, a progress report should be submitted to the Chair of the committee and the Academic Affairs Office.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by email attachment if at all possible (otherwise, six hard copies) by 5 p.m. on Monday, January 19, 2009 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office. Awards will be announced by February 2, 2009. Direct questions to any member of the committee: Kelly Daniels, Wendy Hilton-Morrow, Carrie Hough, Jamie Nelson, Mukesh Sud, or Jim Van Howe.
Augustana's Grants Website: http://www.augustana.edu/x10017.xml