In hopes of filling some mighty big shoes left by his departure, as the Director of ACTL I plan to continue some of the successful initiatives begun by Mike Green.
I write to invite you to strongly consider participating in the Classroom Observation Group Program for the fall term of next year. 32 different faculty participated in the groups this past year and most, if not all, found it to be very helpful. I am hoping that, if you haven't already, you will join this important conversation about our teaching and student learning.
The goal of the program is to encourage small groups of faculty to observe and talk about their teaching across campus. Groups also use sessions to talk through new course preps, planning learning outcomes and assessment of those outcomes, general topics on teaching pedagogy and the like. Groups may choose merely to observe each other in the classroom and provide feedback, or, if there are enough interested parties, groups may coalesce around a particular topic (e.g. group projects, service-learning, etc.).
- Groups of 3-4 faculty will be formed to observe each other's classes and provide feedback.
- The groups will consist of faculty from different departments (disciplines) to encourage interdisciplinary discussion.
- I will work with interested faculty to form groups and will help to facilitate the initial meetings.
You can either let me know now of your interest in participating, or wait until my second call that will go out in August. Please provide the following information so that we can facilitate the groups.
- Fall course name/number and meeting time (if you are teaching multiple courses for the fall and have no preference for the specific class to be observed, please include them)
- A particular topic if you have one in mind
If you have any questions about the program, or any suggestions for me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Augustana Center for Teaching and Learning
- "Students 101: How to tailor your teaching to the interrupter, the hijacker, and other familiar types."http://chronicle.com/weekly/v55/i06/06a12001.htm
- ACTL Website: http://www.augustana.edu/x10019.xml
- The Teaching Professor: http://www.magnapubs.com/issues/magnapubs_tp
- On Course Newsletter: Any one is welcome to subscribe to this free newsletter. To subscribe, send a blank message to: OnCourseemail@example.com