Brand

Augustana College Writers' Club
1947-1953, 1955

MSS 288
approximately 2.5 linear inches



Creator:

Ann Boaden, 8-28-1992

Language:

English

Access:

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection

Access points:

Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)
Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Writers Club.
Clubs

Finding aid prepared by:

Allison James, 2007. Updated by Helen Reinold, 2011.

Repository:

Augustana College Special Collections
Thomas Tredway Library
639 38th Street
Rock Island, Illinois 61201
309-794-7643
specialcollections@augustana.edu




Acquisition Information
Historical Note
Scope and Content
System of Arrangement
Box List
Related Collections



ACQUISITION INFORMATION

Donated by Ann Boaden (1992), recieved from Susan Collins, wife of Dick Collins.

 

HISTORICAL NOTE
The Augustana Writers' Club (Also written as Writer's and Writers) was founded in 1937 by English department head Dr. Henriette C.K. Naeseth. The club met for coffee and book discussion. It also brought famous writers to campus and oversaw the publication of SAGA, the school's literary magazine. The Observer newspaper reserved an annual Christmas section in which Writers' Club members published poetry and prose about the holiday season.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Writers' Club collection contains two components: a scrapbook spanning the years 1947-1955, and "Loomings," a student publication. The scrapbook consists of member photographs, newspaper articles regarding SAGA and its annual award ceremony, and selections from Observer Christmas editions. The scrapbook is divided by year and information about the club's executive board and highlights from the previous year are included at the beginning of each section. "Loomings" contains student written poems and short stories.

 

BOX LIST

Box 1
            "Writer's Club History" Scrapbook, 1947-1953, 1955
            "Writer's Club History" Scrapbook (Preservation Copy), 1947-1953, 1955
            "Loomings," undated.

 

 

 
RELATED COLLECTIONS

MSS164 Bernard Wickstrom Collection


<Back to index>