Brand

Augustana Political Club
1911-1912

MSS 257
approximately 2.5 linear inches



Creator:

Unknown

Language:

English

Access:

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection

Access points:

Augustana College and Theological Seminary (Rock Island, Ill.). Political Club.
College students -- Societies and clubs.

Finding aid prepared by:

Allison James, 2008

Repository:

Augustana College Special Collections
Thomas Tredway Library
639 38th Street
Rock Island, Illinois 61201
309-794-7643
specialcollections@augustana.edu




Acquisition Information
Historical Note
Scope and Content
Box List
Related Collections



ACQUISITION INFORMATION

Unknown

 

HISTORICAL NOTE
The Augustana Political Club, founded in 1911, began with the support of 20 students who hoped to increase awareness of politics on campus. Their constitution was adopted on January 18, 1912. Based on its mention in the school catalogue, the club only seems to have survived up until 1913. Unlike later organizations such as College Democrats or College Republicans, the Augustana Political Club was non-partisan. In the 2007-2008 school year, the Augustana Politics Club was created, serving the same purpose of a non-partisan political activist group. The current incarnation of the club registered over 400 voters on the Augustana campus. It is unknown how or to what extent the original Political Club was involved in their elections.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Political Club collection is very small, consisting of only the proposal letter of 1911 and the club's constitution of 1912.

 

BOX LIST

Box 1
      Letter and constitution, November 6, 1911 and January, 1912

 

RELATED COLLECTIONS

None known


<Back to index>