Brand

Runic Honor Society records
1933-1949

MSS 211
2.5 linear inches



Creator:

Unknown

Language:

English

Access:

There are no restrictions on the use of this collection

Access points:

Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.)--Societies, etc.
Augustana College (Rock Island, Ill.). Runic Honor Society.

Finding aid prepared by:

Emily Hughes Dominick, 2007

Repository:

Augustana College Special Collections
Thomas Tredway Library
639 38th Street
Rock Island, Illinois 61201
309-794-7643
specialcollections@augustana.edu




Acquisition Information
Historical Note
Scope and Content
System of Arrangement
Box List
Related Collections



ACQUISITION INFORMATION

Unknown

 

HISTORICAL NOTE

The following historical note is taken from a historical sketch contained within the papers:
"The Runic Honor Society of Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, was founded in the spring of 1933 by a group of seven high-ranking senior men, with the advice and counsel of Dean Wald and Dr. Fritiof Fryxell. The purpose of the society was to recognize high scholarship, leadership, and service in men of the senior college, and members, not exceeding eight during each year, were to be chosen in accordance with their qualifications in these respects.

The constitution drawn up in 1933 remained unchanged until 1937, when it was amended to extend eligibility for membership to men and women students alike who had completed seven semesters of college work with an average of 2.5 or higher and who, in the unanimous opinion of the faculty members of the society, were considered worthy of membership. Members, not exceeding five per cent of the senior class, were to be elected in January of each year, but provision was made for a second election at the end of the spring semester in case the five per cent limit was not reached in January. In the spring election student members were also to participate. It was also decided that transfer students who had completed four semesters of work at Augustana should be considered eligible to membership if their record in each school met the requirements for membership.

At the same time the constitution was further amended to make Phi Beta Kappa members of the faculty members of the faculty members of the Runic Honor Society, as well as others of the faculty whom the group may elect.

The purpose in making changes in the constitution was to shape the Runic Honor Society according to Phi Beta Kappa traditions, thus forming the nucleus for a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at Augustana."

A Phi Beta Kappa chapter was formed on the Augustana College campus in 1949.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

This collection contains two components: a secretary's book, and a historical sketch with a list of members. The secretary's books consists of the constitution and amendments, membership lists, and meeting minutes.

 

SYSTEM OF ARRANGEMENT

Kept in order established by the Runic Honor Society.

 

BOX LIST

Box 1
      Content of Secretary's book, 1934-1946
      Historical sketch with list of members, circa 1941-1949

 

RELATED COLLECTIONS

Phi Beta Kappa records, MSS 268; Collection on R. W. Edmund, MSS 157


<Back to index>